Here is my first car rigging approach, which became more complicated than it was at the beginning when I decided to research this topic. I’ve studied a lot of car rigging tutorials, took all the best features and built my own rig scheme. It became a great new experience for me in developing scripted rig.
The main features:
- one click rig creation
- dialog for automatic alignment of rig to the car and wheels (brakes optional)
- controls for body and wheels dynamics
- automatic secondary motion
- path following with proper wheel rotation, steering and body roll
- terrain following, the list of terrain objects
- vehicle speed speedometer in Kilometers per Hour
- automatic rotation of car depended on its travel direction (in case of manual animation without path spline)
At this moment I’m working on a short animation with parallel testing of the rig, adding some new features, fixing bugs.